Sunday, May 13, 2012

As of late

Hi friends,

I feel like it's been forever since I've talked to you all.  I guess we've got some catching up to do here.  I've been in kind of a daze the past few days.  Well, actually, really in a daze.  I can't say too much on here right now, but Thursday night we were in a minor car accident where we were rear ended and the other driver fled the scene on foot.  Because she left her car there we were able to get her information, which is a good thing.

Anyhow, when we were hit, I hit my head pretty hard against the back of my seat.  I felt fine right after, but Friday morning when I woke up I started to get a terrible headache, my neck was really sore, I felt like I was going to puke, and just kind of in an overall daze.  I called the doctor and they told me to come in right away.  They gave me the full work up and told me I had a concussion and mild whiplash.

Now it's Sunday and I'm still feeling pretty out of it.  The doctor said I should start to feel better soon though.  I'm hoping so, because I have an awful lot to do this week before the wedding!  For now, I have to rest and lay low to give myself a chance to heal.

It could have been a lot worse.  The other driver was in a giant SUV so if they would have been going any faster, the damage would have been terrible I'm sure.  There were a few lessons that I learned from this that I thought I would share with you all.  Some of them may seem silly, but I think it's worth it to give them a little thought.

  1. Keep your eyes on the road.  The other driver was bending down in her car to get her fast food.  Her eyes were not on the road, she couldn't ever see over the steering wheel for peet sake.  
  2. Wear your seatbelt!  Huge one right here.  I don't care if you don't think it's cool.  You'll be even less cool if you end up seriously injured because you weren't wearing it.  Josh and I both had ours on and I can only imagine how much worse off I would be right now had I not had it on.
  3. Keep your insurance info and registration in a handy spot in your car.  In the heat of an accident there's a lot going on.  The last thing you want to be doing is digging around trying to find these.
  4. If you're ever in an accident, make sure to get the other driver's information right away.  In my case, the other driver seemed very nice at first, but when she found out that I was going to call the police to report the accident she freaked out and bolted.  (Turns out she was driving after her license had been revoked, she thought she was going to jail)
  5. Do not underestimate the power of shock.  I was very calm and collected about the whole thing until it came time to write up an incident report.  At that point I lost it.  I started crying and all of the emotions started coming out.  Also, I didn't feel the extent of my injuries (or know I was even hurt) until the next morning.
  6. Head injuries are not something to mess around with.  We were not going fast at all.  When I had a headache I thought maybe I was just stressed out, then I started listening to my body and really feeling the full effects.  The doctor described it as literally "having your bell wrung".  While there is nothing that the doctor can really do for a concussion, they can confirm that it's not something worse.
  7. It's a good idea to call the cops after an accident to get a police report filed.  Minor accidents don't require one, but it's so much easier for insurance purposes.  I submitted my claim with the incident report, and now I just have to sit back and wait.  There is a reason you pay for car insurance people.
This whole thing has forced me to slow down and focus on what's important right now.  I am grateful that I was done with finals when it happened.  Josh has been amazing taking care of me.  I can't wait to marry him in 13 days!!!  And all of those little things that I have been stressed about, well they will either happen or not.  And at the end of the day we will have an amazing day, surrounded by our loved ones, and be married.

Sorry for the somber Sunday post.  Tomorrow I will have something better.  I managed to throw together some muffins for breakfast that turned out incredible.

Question of the day -
Have you ever been in a car accident?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness hun! I am so sorry to hear about your car accident. Ugh that makes me so mad that the person who hit you left the scene but I am glad that you were able to get her information and more importantly, that everybody was okay. When a terrible thing like a car accident occurs and you are fortunate enough to walk away, it does make you stop and reflect on how lucky you are, to be grateful for all that you have and really focus on what is important. I am so glad you are okay and hope you feel 100% better very soonly! Stay smiling Annie! :)

 
At May 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks for the encouragement Wendi!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: As of late

This page has moved to a new address.

As of late